This 5 day instructor led class introduces students to the .NET features of PowerBuilder implemented since PowerBuilder 11, and explores PowerBuilder 12.5’s two development IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) – the Classic IDE and the new .NET IDE.
The class presents the .NET deployment features of the PowerBuilder 12.5 Classic
IDE. Students will learn to:
- Deploy PowerBuilder applications as .NET WinForm
- Deploy PowerBuilder applications as ASP.NET WebForm
- Deploy PowerBuilder applications as Smart Client
- Use non-PowerBuilder .NET assemblies in
- Deploy PowerBuilder NVOs as .NET assemblies for
use with other .NET languages.
- Deploy PowerBuilder NVOs as Web Services.
The class also presents the PowerBuilder .NET IDE introduced in PowerBuilder 12. The organization and navigation in the IDE is presented, and its role in creating Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) applications is discussed. Students will
- Explain new terminology related to .NET.
- Navigate within the .NET IDE.
- Create WPF applications.
- Migrate an existing PowerBuilder Classic application
to a WPF application.
- Describe and use XAML.
- Explore and use the new features of the WPF DataWindow,
including the use of Custom Controls the many new graph types.
- Explore and use other new features such as
Interfaces, Enumerations, Properties, Indexers Namespaces, and Overloaded
- Use .NET classes and their methods inside of the
- Inherit from .NET classes while in PowerBuilder,
providing the ability to override methods of .NET classes.
A series of lab exercises is used to reinforce the classroom education.
This hands-on course is designed for application programmers that will build .NET
applications using PowerBuilder 12.5.
Previous experience in developing PowerBuilder applications.
Overview of PowerBuilder and .NET
- What is .NET?
- Why NET?
- Evolution of PowerBuilder and .NET
- What is WPF?
Using .NET Assemblies in PowerBuilder
- Importing .NET Classes
- Conditional Compilation
- Writing Scripts That Reference .NET Classes and
Creating .NET WinForm Applications
- Creating .NET WinForm Applications
- Deploying .NET WinForm Applications
- Modified and Supported Features in .NET WinForm
.NET WebForm Applications
- Creating .NET WebForm Applications
- Deploying .NET WebForm Applications
- Running WebForm Applications
- DataWindow Differences
- Client-Side Events and Event Handling
- Sharing Data Across Sessions
- Using the WebForm File Manager
- Using the WebForm Print Manager
- Modified and Unsupported Features in .NET WebForm
Creating Smart Client Applications
- What are Smart Client Applications?
- Publishing the Application
- Installing the Application on a User Machine
- Updating the Application
- Rolling Back an Application
- Adding Installation Prerequisites
Creating .NET Assemblies in PowerBuilder
- The .NET Assembly Target
- Deploying a PowerBuilder .NET Assembly
- Distributing a PowerBuilder .NET Assembly
- Using a PowerBuilder .NET Assembly
Using Web Services
- What are Web Services?
- Calling Web Services in Scripts
- Web Service DataWindows
Creating PowerBuilder .NET Web Services
- The .NET Web Service Target
- Configuring ASP.NET for a .NET Web Service
- Deploying a .NET Web Service
Using the PowerBuilder .NET IDE11
Creating WPF Targets and Applications
- Creating a New Target
- Converting PB Classic Targets to PB .NET
Creating WPF Windows
- Panel Types
- Creating New Windows
- Window Painter Navigation
- Modifying Properties
- Inheriting Windows
Creating WPF DataWindows
- Creating New DataWindows
- DataWindow Painter Navigation
Writing Scripts in WPF Applications
- PowerScript Differences in PB.NET
- PB .NET Script View
- Editing Scripts
- Code Snippets
- Using Toolbox Items
- Compiling Scripts
Using Other PB .NET Painters
- Menu Painter
- Function Painter
- User Object Painter
- Database Painter
The PowerBuilder .NET Debugger
Deploying WPF Applications
- Using the Project Painter
- Distribution Requirements
- Deploying SmartClient Applications
New .NET Language Features
Exploiting WPF in PB .NET Applications
- WPF Controls in PB .NET
- XAML Styles
- Control Templates
To Hire the Course Author, PowerBuilder Subject Matter Expert and Instructor who also teaches this class, call us today at 800-798-3901!