In this 5 day instructor led class, students will learn the following Oracle Solaris 11 Administration skills:
Install Solaris 11 Using the Interactive Installer
- Preparation for the Installation.
- Performing and Installation interactively.
- Post-install verification.
Managing Software, and Updating Solaris 11 Using IPS
- IPS Repositories.
- Package searching and listing facilities.
- Installing packages and package groups.
- Verifying the installation of packages
- Uninstalling packages.
- Using the packagemanager GUI.
- Keeping the system up-to-date (No more patches!)
System Startup and shutdown, and managing system services with SMF
- Managing and monitoring system services with SMF
- Integrating new services with an XML manifest and control script.
- System boot procedures, including boot troubleshooting.
- Shutdown procedures.
Configuration of ZFS Storage Pools
- Creating a ZFS Storage Pool from raw disk devices.
- Includes linear, raid 1 mirrors and raid Z devices.
- Adding capacity to a pool, and replacing faulty components; how to use hot spares.
- Displaying Pool status, and managing pool properties.
- Monitoring pool performance.
- Destroying a pool.
ZFS Datasets (a.k.a. File Systems)
- Creating and destroying datasets.
- Displaying and changing the many dataset properties, such as quotas, compression, etc.
- Displaying dataset status and information.
- Mounting and datasets.
Using ZFS Snapshots and Clones
- Taking a snapshot of a dataset, including recursive snapshots.
- Renaming snapshots, including recursively.
- Destroy a snapshot, including recursive snapshots; roll back to a snapshot.
- Displaying snapshot information, such as space usage.
- Creating a clone (a writeable fork of a snapshot); promoting a clone.
- Destroying a clone.
Configuring and Managing Zones
- Define the configuration for a new zone, and verify.
- Install a new zone.
- Access the zone.
- Zone control, such as startup and shutdown.
- Displaying and interpreting zone configurations.
- Monitoring zones.
- Introduction to zone resource controls.
Configuring a Physical Network devices.
- Display datalinks with dladm.
- Network profiles (dynamic and static).
- Overview of NWAM (NetWork Auto Magic).
- Configuring a network interface with ipadm.
- Managing a network interface.
- IPMP overview.
- Validate network functionality.
User Account management
- User and group concepts.
- Adding and removing users and groups.
- Managing users and groups.
- Password management, including aging.
- Configuring the user environment (shell profiles)
- Implementing disk quotas under ZFS datasets (Both ZFS and User quotas are available)
Managing Access to the system and directory structure
- Login and password security fundamentals.
- Replacing the Password encryption processes.
- Testing and verifying secure access controls.
Controlling Access to Files and directories
- Protecting Files with Basic Permissions using chmod and chown.
- Identifying and guarding against commands with a potential security risk.
- Using simple ACL’s (Access Control Lists).
Remote access using Secure Shell
- Secure shell commands (ssh, scp and sftp)
- The sshd daemon; configure, enable and disable.
- Configuring the client side.
Control and Manage System Processes
- Display system processes with ps and top, etc.
- Manage system processes.
- Kill a process.
Managing the crontab system
- Create modify crontab jobs for repetitive tasks.
- Restricting access to crontab
- Using at for one-off jobs.
System Logs, Kernel Crash and Process Core Dump Files
- System log processes and management.
- Managing kernel crash dumps.
- Managing process core dumps.
- Troubleshooting scenarios, hints and tips, etc.are an inherent part of the course.
- Typical scenarios include boot problems, permissions issues, user mis-configuration, software update problems, network connectivity, and many others.
- These issues are not tackled separately, but as part of the main course content, and in the context of real practical examples.
To Hire a proven Oracle Solaris Subject Matter Expert Consultant and Instructor who teaches this class, call 800-798-3901 today!