This 5 day class introduces students to advanced techniques used to develop fully
functional, well‑performing business applications using PowerBuilder. Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Create standard reports, including TreeViews,
graphs, crosstabs, and multi-group reports.
- Create RichText, nested, and composite style
- Manipulate the properties and behavior of the
- Access and modify the properties of the
- Describe the internal organization of the
- Analyze issues involved in managing transactions
- Use DataWindow techniques to access, update, and
validate data from the database.
- Create a DataWindow dynamically.
- Create and use DataStores.
- Use DataWindows to generate XML and PDF files.
- Create DataWindows that use a Web Service data
- Create and use standard, custom, and external
- Implement advanced elements of the graphical user interface, such as MonthCalendar, Animation, ListView, TreeView, and Tab controls.
- Use drag and drop for direct manipulation within the application.
- Use external functions in PowerBuilder Classic applications.
- Use a variety of techniques to test, debug, and
analyze PowerBuilder Classic applications.
A series of written and lab exercises will be used to reinforce the classroom
The course uses materials customized to the requested version of PowerBuilder (6.5
Application programmers responsible for the design and implementation of client/server applications using PowerBuilder.
- Basic PowerBuilder Programming, or an equivalent class.
- Four to six weeks experience developing
This course teaches sophisticated concepts at an accelerated pace. Students new to
PowerBuilder are encouraged to complete the prerequisite course before taking
Advanced DataWindow Presentation Styles
- Group Presentation Style
- TreeView Presentation Style (10.5 – 12.5)
- Crosstab Presentation Style
- N-Up Presentation Style
- Newspaper Column Reports
- Graph Presentation Style
- Printing-Related Functions
- Generating PDF and PSR Files
- Composite Presentation Style
- Nesting DataWindows
- Label Presentation Style
- RichText Presentation Style
Understanding DataWindow Behavior
- Data Validation Process
- Data Validation Techniques
- Required DataWindow Columns
- DataWindow Buffer Processing
- Managing Row/Column Status
Dynamic DataWindow Behavior
- Conditional Property Expressions
- Accessing DataWindow Object Properties
- Dynamically Changing a WHERE Clause
- Dynamic DataWindow Creation
Advanced DataWindow Techniques
- Using an External Data Source
- Using a Stored Procedure Data Source
- Creating and Using DataStores
- Sharing a Result Set
- Coordinating Updates
- Standard Visual User Objects
- Custom Visual User Objects
- Standard Class User Objects
- Custom Class User Objects
Exception Handling in PowerBuilder
- Objects for Exception Handling
- TRY-CATCH Structure
- Creating User-Defined Exception Types
- THROW Statement
- Throwing Exceptions From Functions
Using Tab, ListView and TreeView Controls
- Tab Controls
- ListView Controls
- TreeView Controls
Using Web Services (11 – 12.5)
- What are Web Services?
- Calling Web Services from Scripts
- Creating Web Service DataWindows
- Implementing Web Service DataWindows
Supplemental Topics (as time permits)
- Additional Scripting Topics
- Accessing the Windows Registry
- Using the Environment Object
- Calling External Functions
- Advanced GUI Controls
- Using Drag and Drop in Applications
- Testing Techniques
- Transaction Management
- Using Data Pipelines
To Hire the Course Author, PowerBuilder Subject Matter Expert and Instructor who also teaches this class, call us today at 800-798-3901!